Skimlinks Test 7

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Yummy Cornbread


Now that cooler weather has returned, I have started using my oven more frequently.  While I enjoy grilling in the Summer, I enjoy cooking in my oven even more.  Roasted meats, hot pies, and warm breads with their delicious smells filling my house, warm my insides along with my home.  One bread that I make quite often is cornbread.  It can be made in several forms; dry and crumbly-great for mixing in soups and sopping up juices, light and slightly sweet-wonderful side for most meals, and sweet and cakey-very tastey with fried chicken and coleslaw but also as dessert.
My father's favorite is dry and crumbly with little butter and uses it to thicken his pinto beans and sop up juices.  He even demonstrated to my husband his "techniques" for mixing and sopping (my husband had a good laugh later)!!  While he may claim to be a cornbread "expert", he and I do not share the same taste for kinds of cornbread.  I really like the light and slightly sweet version with a bit of butter and honey.  Occasionally, I enjoy the really sweet bread.  Anyone remember Hardee's and their extra-sweet cornbread?  It was so fantastic but so sweet you hardly needed any extra butter or honey.  But I couldn't eat it all the time.
The recipe I'm sharing today is my own!  I took two recipes I own and combined the ingredients I liked from each to create a light and slightly sweet cornbread.  It's great with chili, Slow Cooker Enchiladas (I'll share this recipe soon!)...anything!


Doesn't it look even yummier with the honey drizzling on it?  mmmmm


Cornbread
Carol Badaracco

2 cups AP flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal (not self-rising)
1/4 sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup plain, low-fat yogurt
milk* see note

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9" X 9" square or 10-inch round baking pan.  In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.  In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, and yogurt.  Mix into the dry ingredients, adding milk until batter is wet and well-combined.
Pour into the baking pan, spreading batter into an even layer.  Bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

* The exact amount of milk is between 1-2 cups of milk.  I alternate between pouring and stirring until the batter is wet and well-combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share some love and comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...