Skimlinks Test 7

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Homemade Thin Mints

Main Graphic

The holidays are quickly approaching and this is my favorite quick & easy "cookie" recipe that I love to make for my family.  It only involves 4 ingredients (!!!) and about 30 minutes of my time.  It's a win-win for my book!



Close up of cookies


When I originally made this recipe, I added peppermint extract to give it that minty flavor.  But since discovering Young Living Essential Oils, I have become obsessed with adding their vitality oils to some of my favorite recipes!  One drop gives you so much bang for you buck, plus there are the added benefits of using oils!

I should mention that not all essential oils are created equally.  I have done my research and only Young Living Vitality Essential Oils can be ingested, so that is one reason they are my brand of choice {among many others!}

Peppermint Vitality Oil


So it's really very simple...slowly melt the chocolate and oil together in a glass bowl, being careful not to burn.  I like to use the microwave but you can certainly use a small crock pot or double boiler.

Let cool for 1-2 minutes then add 3-4 drops of Peppermint Vitality Essential Oil.  Always be sure to taste the chocolate before dipping.  Depending on the bitterness of your chocolate, you may need more or less drops.

Cookies

Dipping the crackers can be a bit challenging at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's really quite simple.  Here is a short, terribly shot video clip of me showing off my technique:

                              


So there you have it!  The easiest cookies you'll make this holiday season! 

Check out my other recipes with Young Living Essential Oils:



Peppermint Vitality Oil with cookies


Aerial view of cookies

print recipe

Homemade Thin Mints

prep time: 5 MINScook time: total time: 5 mins

INGREDIENTS:


  • Ritz crackers
  • 10 oz. semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
  • 1 Tbsp. oil (I use coconut oil)
  • 3-4 drops Young Living Peppermint Essential Oil

INSTRUCTIONS:


  1. Place all ingredients, except the Ritz crackers and peppermint oil, in a microwave-safe container and slowly microwave on High until melted.
  2. Stir until smooth, adding additional oil, if necessary, to thin out the mixture. Add 3-4 drops of Peppermint Vitality Oil.
  3. Place a Ritz top side down into chocolate, slightly submerge, then flip over using a fork.
  4. Carefully dunk the bottom side of the cracker into the chocolate then lift out using the fork. Lightly shake the fork back and forth to remove excess chocolate. (If at any point the chocolate starts to thicken, simply re-heat in the microwave!)
  5. Place on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet. Once sheet is full, place in freezer to harden. Store in an air-tight container in the freezer.

Need a last minute gift idea?  Check out this cute printable that's perfect for those last minute gifts!

Join me tonight @ 9pm EST for a really fun, essential oil, Homemade Holiday Event! Top oily bloggers (including myself) will be posting their guides to making this a true homemade holiday with Young Living Essential Oils!

A Complete Holiday Gift Guide:

Handmade Holiday Event

Need more ideas?  Check out more great tutorials and DIY gift ideas using Young Living Essential Oils!



Thanks for reading!  As always, follow me on Facebook & Instagram!

 photo signature_zpscne1yvfn.png

8 comments:

  1. Hey Carol, As I have said before, these look so yummy! I am kicking myself bc I forgot to buy Ritz crackers at the store today bc I totally want to try these!

    Thanks for linking up last week at the Humble Brag. YOU WERE FEATURED!!! Hope you'll come back tomorrow to link up. Also the Silhouette Cameo giveaway ends this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! These look amazing and super simple/quick to make! They will be a great idea for those last minute snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not very good at following directions so here's how I changed things up: instead of using the microwave to melt the chocolate I placed the chips in a glass measuring cup and then placed that in a small saucepan of water and heated it on the stove. I left the chocolate in there while dipping so it never cooled down. Also, didn't like how they were so sticky and melty so I did without the coconut oil. Love them and will be a Christmas staple from now on! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips Jennifer!

      Delete
    2. I used peppermint oil to make the classic Thin Mints flavor! Delicious!

      Delete
  4. I think I would use Oreos instead of Ritz crackers to make it more like the Girl Scout Thin Mints (they are chocolate inside and out). Just take the Oreo apart, scrape the frosting off, and just use one half of the cookie. I'll have to give this a try, and let y'all know how it turns out. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that's a good idea! let me know how they turn out!

      Delete

Share some love and comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...