Skimlinks Test 7

Monday, April 18, 2011

Homemade Yogurt!

I never thought I could make yogurt at home!  It is so simple and the results were amazing!  I had fun setting the slow cooker and waking up the next morning to find my yummy yogurt waiting for me.  I know, you're probably thinking, "Set the slow cooker?  Hubba, what?".  Strange, but yes, it all starts with a slow cooker!  You heat it for a little while, let it sit for another little while, and then wrap it in a towel (seriously?) and let it sit some more...then "voila!", you've got yogurt!

The whole process takes about 14 hours, but is totally worth it and can be done overnight.




Homemade Yogurt
courtesy of: Une-bonne-vie

1 gallon milk (whole milk makes for a thicker yogurt...I used 1% for slightly thinner, but not runny consistency)
1/2 cup plain yogurt
frozen fruit (optional)
sugar (optional)

1. Pour milk into slow cooker, cover, and heat on Low for 3 hours.
2. Without removing lid, turn off slow cooker and let sit for 3 more hours.
3. After cooling for 3 hours, remove 2 cups of the warmed milk.  Stir the 1/2 cup plain yogurt into the removed milk.  Once combined, return the mixture to the slow cooker. Stir and replace the lid.
4.  Wrap the slow cooker in a large towel and place on countertop to sit for 8+ hours.  (The longer it sits, the more tart it will taste.)
5.  After sitting for at least 8 hours, remove the towel.  Line a strainer with paper towels and place over a large bowl.  Scoop yogurt into lined strainer and let strain for 1 hour in the refrigerator. 

While the yogurt is straining, place desired fruit (I chose raspberry) in a small saucepan, sprinkle with sugar, and small amount of water.  Bring to a boil.  Once boiling, reduce heat and let simmer uncovered until mixture is thickened. 
Once fruit has cooled and yogurt is finished straining, combine.  I like my yogurt to be sweeter, so I stirred in some Splenda until I reached the desired taste.

You can always leave the fruit and sugar out if you just want plain yogurt.  Also, for thicker yogurt (ie. Greek), let it strain for more than an hour.


2 comments:

  1. For vanilla yogurt (plain is too tart) just add vanilla extract, ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would add some vanilla and honey since you don't like the tartness of plain. My girls are the same way! I also like to cook up some frozen mixed berries with a little honey, puree it, and let cool to make berry yogurt that's naturally sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Share some love and comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...