Skimlinks Test 7

Monday, March 7, 2011

Down to business with biscuits

This biscuit recipe has become my go-to recipe, it seems, for about the past 3 weeks.  I recently picked up the book, Family Feasts for $75 a Week, by Mary Ostyn.  She is a mom, blogger, penny-pincher, cook...you name it, she can do it!  She and her husband have 10 children (biological and adopted) so saving money is a priority.  I'm all for good-quality, homemade food on a budget.  We roughly spend $80/week on groceries so having quick, go-to recipes with staple food items is a must!

For meals, I like to prepare a main dish, vegetable/salad, and a bread.  Though this doesn't always work for every meal, I feel like my meals are more balanced when I provide all three.  And while those tubed-shaped biscuits may be easy and extremely fun (yet dangerous) to open, I prefer to get my hands a bit messy and spend the few extra minutes whipping up my own biscuits.  And trust me, the "flaky, peelable layers" in a tube will never be as flaky and buttery as these!

Still want those tube-shaped biscuits?

This recipe is for roughly 16 biscuits.  I cut it in 1/2 when I make them to save time and end up with about 7-8 BIG biscuits.

4 cups AP flour
2 Tbsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. cold butter, cubed 
2 cups milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Whisk together the dry ingredients.  Cut in the cold butter until evenly distributed.  Add milk gradually just until dough pulls away from the bowl. (May not use all of milk...add slowly).  Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead several times until smooth.  Pat or roll into 1-inch thickness.  Cut biscuits and place on an ungreased baking sheet or in an ungreased baking pan.  Bake until brown 13-15 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. Carol,
    Okay that recipe sounds amazing and very easy. I am definitely going to try it next time we have biscuits. Thanks for posting! Love the blog!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adjusting for whole food eating...Think these would be just as yummy with whole wheat flour and honey? Or just "cheat"? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried these biscuits made with all whole wheat and they were very good! We're trying to ease into the whole wheat baked goods by adding some white flour. I've made these with 1.5 cups white with 1/2 cup whole wheat and they are fantastic and better for you than just plain white flour (which I always getting unbleached)

    ReplyDelete

Share some love and comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...